Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Brassica cage?

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
This year pigeons have eaten all my spring cabbages and broccoli.

Belatedly I have chucked some netting over - and they are recovering.

Next year would it be feasible to make some kind of cage?
Maybe keep off butterflies too?

Cage would have to be movable for crop rotation
and accessible for weeding, harvesting.

Has anyone tried anything that works and is not too much trouble?

We have. Modular 'hurdles': mild steel framed chicken wired flat structures
which can be moved easily and don't take much room to store when not used.
They tie to each other with wire, string, baler twine, whatever's available.
They don't need to be absolutely rigid. They can be lifted and replaced
easily to access for harvesting, seeding etc. when we've had flighty hens
we've laid them across the vertical ones but mostly that's not necessary.

We use them to keep our hens off the tasty crops. Our plots are small, it's
an inner city garden, but pigeons don't find their way into them when the
hurdles are round them.

They don't stop butterflies though. You'd need very small mesh to prevent
any insect attention.

Mary
--
Chris