Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Sacha

Default Brassica cage?

Chris4/4/04 8:57 ]

This year pigeons have eaten all my spring cabbages and broccoli.

Belatedly I have chucked some netting over - and they are recovering.

Next year would it be feasible to make some kind of cage?
Maybe keep off butterflies too?

Cage would have to be movable for crop rotation
and accessible for weeding, harvesting.

Has anyone tried anything that works and is not too much trouble?

In 'the old days', people had fruit cages to keep birds away from soft
fruits. My outlaws grew sweet peas up the inside of theirs and all the
fruit in the middle. Why should you not do that with a veg. cage? The mesh
could be small enough to exclude everything, if that is what you want.
Indeed, the mesh could be the size of an American 'screen porch'. I've
never really understood why we don't have those in UK - nothing, including a
political canvasser would get past that kind of mesh! ;-)
Depending on your circumstances it could be on wheels or on long 'legs'
which would push into the ground by a foot or three and leave the cage on
top of the earth, doing its job; there could be many variations on this
theme.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)