Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Brassica cage?

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:57:35 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

This year pigeons have eaten all my spring cabbages and broccoli.

Belatedly I have chucked some netting over - and they are recovering.

Next year would it be feasible to make some kind of cage?
Maybe keep off butterflies too?

Cage would have to be movable for crop rotation
and accessible for weeding, harvesting.

Has anyone tried anything that works and is not too much trouble?

I've tried several variations on a theme - and they all work (
depending on the type of mesh you use ).
What I would say is if you make such a cage, make it a good one - and
by good I mean something that isn't going to fall apart after one
season - preferably with some sort of hinged arrangement so's you can
simply lift or open the top/sides to weed or crop.

For brassicas, I'd go for 'enviromesh' - look for the stuff that's
sold for preventing carrot and onion root fly. It's quite sturdy,
though I don't believe it offers the frost protection that the finer
mesh does.

If you can find metal mesh, go for it - but I'd imagine it's pretty
pricey.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk