Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Jim W

Default URGLers in Wales... (Ferryside, Carmarthenshire)

David Hill wrote:

"..... She described soil as black and wet (see, a newbie) thx for the
advice but its not what I asked ........"

What you asked is almost impossible to answer as you have already been told.
It depends where she is in /around Ferryside, at estuary level or on
surrounding higher ground,
A new house or an old property, if new then the builder may have taken soil
away, imported soil or left what was there.
A lot of the soil in the area is a very acid loam/silt, but can change over
a 100 yds.

Ta for that.. thats a good start

Normally good veg area, but as for plants it depends what she wants to grow.
Alpines , herbaceous, shrubs, trees ?
My advice would also to look at other local gardens, and ask local people
what they are growing (She may well end up being given quite a lot of plants
that way).
Several good garden centres and nurseries in the area and they are going to
stock plants that will do well locally, esp if she goes to local nurseries
she should get all the advice she needs.
This is probably not what you asked as well but probably the best you will
get.

Cheers David.

Jim

--