Old 07-04-2004, 01:36 AM
C G

Default Advice about VERY messy neighbor

Joanna & Mark wrote:
Good morning everyone!
Hope everyone got their plants through the freeze safely.

I am inquiring about who to notify about a messy neighbor.
This isn't a "I have kids that make a mess" or "I just didn't get around
to cleaning up my yard for a couple of weeks", or even "This is an
ongoing work in progress."
The yard is covered in garbage with two broken down cars in the driveway
with torn bags of fertilizer, mulch and ohter moldy bags of god knows
what all over the vehicles, broken pots all over the ground tipped over,
rusted cans and garbage spewed all over the yard.
I have seen the people who live there once only on a Saturday.
I have asked other neighbors if there was a problem and perhaps we could
go over and help. (Things happen so maybe they could use help cleaning)
Everyone said, no that it was a young couple who was lazy and that
stuff had been there for years.
Most of the people in our neighborhood are very house proud and I love
them for it, but having one house like that in the neighborhood has not
only detracted from it's appearance, I now see that the people that live
next to them have moved out and are trying to rent the home. It
frightens me to think who would rent so close to a place that is such a
disaster.
Is there an agency in Raleigh / Garner that could be notified to request
that this be taken care of?

Thanks again,
Jo

First, check the covenants of the neighborhood. Many have clauses about
taking care of the yard. Second, contact the county/city health
department. If there's trash/garbage in the yard, they can step in on
your behalf.

Chuck