Old 10-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Philip

Default Shredders - any advice?

(Paul Gerrish) wrote in message . com...
Small to medium size garden and as composting space is limited decided
to get a shredder to compost more and send less to bin. There is small
amount of small branches, in the autumn lots of beech leaves and quite
a lot of small general prunings /green material. Consequently I want
somehting that will deal with green materials as well as branches and
preferabley reasonably quiet. There are little in way of reviews but
three appear
Ryobi RGS1500 £169 - seems well recommended but not sure it is quiet
or advanced in its cutting mechnaism
AL-Ko SP3500 £269 - seems quiet and seems to have a crush mechanism;
any good for leaves /green material etc..
Bosch AXT 2000 Xp £169 - not sure if this is the same as ATCO Quiet
shredder as these are made by Bosch
ATCO Quiet 1800 Shredder £260- seems to have a spiral pull in

Can anybody spare some time to advise if they have any experience in
this area?

Paul I have experience of two types.

An AtCo rotary type - loads of noise and jams regularly (until you get
the hang of it). Then once you have got its measure it will still jam
from time to time. Wet stuff combined with the narrow 'out shoot'
tend to cause the jamming.
Partial dis-assemby needed to claer jams.

Cannot remember the make of the other type but it was obviously more
expensive. It operated more on a crushing approach. The blades were
incorporated into a oval shaped drum which rotated and pulled the
matarial in. The oval shape of the drum caused a crush effect. Much
quieter, could handle thicker branches with ease. Reverse feature
meant that jams were only of a temporary nature.

The Bosch ones I have seen have the screw blade system. This looks
like a variant mid way between the two I have described.

Features to look out for :

Reverse
Exit ramp is wide and as straight as possible.
Exit is preferable aided by gravity
Exit is high enough to go straight into your barrow (or whatever youre
going to catch it all in)