Old 12-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default do pomacea bridgsii apple snails eat tender plants?

Claire, how often do you feed your snails. More specifically, how many do
you have? If I got one snail for my tank, how much and often would he/she
have to be fed. (assuming the snail is 1.5 - 2 inches and the aquarium is 15
gallons and full of plants)

I am looking to buy one but the LFS is telling me that he's pretty sure his
"apple snails" eat plants. Applesnail.net says that there's a good chance
that the bridgesii type are the ones typically sold in stores...however I
don't want one to clean out my tank overnight.

Thanx!

Dave.

"Claire" wrote in message

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
Hi! I hope LeighMo can answer this one for me:

Do the pomacea bridgsii apple snails eat tender hair-fine leaves off

plants
such as the ambulia or others? Will they start munching on them if there
isn't enough dead plant material and algae in the aquarium?

thanx alot!!!

Not usually. I've got loads of applesnails in my tank and not a single
nibbled leaf.

You do need to feed them though. Mine get cooked and cooled carrots, baby
sweetcorn, peas. Fish flakes, catfish food, algae wafers. Obviously not
all at the same time, but they do get a variety.

Claire