Old 12-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Radio host blasts TV garden shows

A spokesman told News Online the BBC did not program its output for only one
type of gardening viewer.

Oh yes it does!

It certainly ain't the gardeners who love plants for themselves, who
wouldn't consider their garden 'another room' nor who would actually
'want' their garden to be done designed and 'finished' in three days!
Most gardeners well okay, planstmen/women would never get as far as
letting them plant stuff into their newly dug over land without at least
an argument or two about what plants are being used or which ones they
want to leave out
I'd be absolutely horrified if they came and took my plants away and put
in stuff that the designers liked.
The majority of my plants have storied attached or come with memories of
past days out, friends gifts or things I have grown from seed or begged
cuttings.

And I do wish they would show the gardens a year or two later

To balance their programs they really ought to do one with very keen
gardeners who aren't planting for 'effect' but are trying to cram 101
plants they saw and bought into what little space is left.
Perhaps a cross between life laundry and garden design where they
rationalise all your mad impulse buys and make some sort of silk purse
out of them.

Dan Pearson would be so diplomatic about it all.................

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph