Old 15-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime

"Lynne" wrote in
:

Inside the message I got a big white square with a red 'x' in the
corner. When I opened the attmt. I got a small picture mostly obscured
by some grid-like pattern over the lower 3/4. I can't make it out too
well, but I'm almost certain it's a slime mold (not quite a fungus,
but more of a fungus-like "animal"). Most of its life is spent hidden
in rotted wood or leaf mold or manure, then when it's time to
reproduce it migrates some distance (over mulch, plants, logs, even
up trees) to give itself a better position to disperse its spores. It
doesn't harm the tree.

did you try highlighting all the parts and then decoding?

I wouldn't know one myxomycetes from another, but I guess you are right.
The wood certainly appears damp and decayed and there are green flecks and
lichen looking areas on the wood near the primary mass.