Old 15-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Poisonous plants

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I certainly wouldn't rely on it, there are some glaring omissions and the
| random use of common names or botanic names makes it hard to find a plant
| even when you know its poisonous and what its called!
| one well know poison I couldn't see (but it may be there under a different
| name) Strychnos toxifera or curare.

You could tell from the length that it was intended to cover only
common garden plants - I didn't know that was one.

| I think the advice at the beginning of the page is spot on, if you don't
| know something is edible you should assume its poisonous!

I will experiment with some families but, as you know, I have enough
botanical and toxological knowledge to make an educated guess. I
will not experiment with the solanaceae or fabaceae/leguminoseae,
despite the number of food plants in those families! Nor will I
trust Web pages that say they are edible without further evidence
(black nightshade being the obvious example).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.