Old 16-04-2004, 05:32 PM
RoyDMercer

Default How to get rid of ants?

The home remedy you mention is essentially a bait trap. The difference
being your solution is in an open environment rather than a closed one.

I say they are best because for a number of reasons. The reason being when
you are mixing poison and sugar you have something which animals and small
children can get into. Generally speaking, when you are using a pesticide
that only targets the problem and not anything else, it is the best
solution. The problem with sprays and powders (including the home remedy
you mentioned) is usually the poison acts too quickly and you only kill the
forager ants. Killing forager ants often has the effect of stressing the
colony and causing it to split into sub colonies which multiplies the
original problem.

If you haven't used ant bait traps in the last few years, you should
probably give them another try because they have greatly improved lately.
There are also different types of baits that target different types of ants.
There are also different types of baits for different areas, both inside and
outside. Here in Texas, we have a much more diverse and pervasive problem
with ants than you have in New England (I've lived in New England also).
There are a few species of ants which don't respond well to baits, but these
types of ants generally don't go near homes and these types of ants wouldn't
respond to your home remedy either.

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
It's a big claim that bait is "best". Boric acid is the active

ingredient
in several "ant and roach" powders and it works fine for us. In fact,

bait
traps have never seemed to wor here in New England. You probably have a
different kind of ant in TX.

"RoyDMercer" wrote in message
"Dick" wrote in message
Me and my wife live in an apt and have a patio. We are in southern
california. Anyway we have had a garden in the back of our apt for the

last
four or five years. What kind of home remedy could get rid of ants? I

mixed
some cleanser with sugar and put it out by the ants. I read where that

would
eventually kill the queen. Any infor I would appreciate.

The best way to get rid of ants inside the home or on your patio is to

use
ant baits. They are safe for the environment, and for pets and

children.

http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_ab.asp

I live in Texas. Ants are worse here than anywhere else I've lived. We

get
them inside our house during the summer quite often. I put out a bait

as
soon as I see them and within 1-2 days they are gone.