Old 18-04-2004, 01:06 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Square Foot Gardening

"Olushola" wrote:

Having never grown food before, I going to give this a try as it doesn't
seem to labor intensive. A few questions:

Is this really legit?

Is 6 inches enough for the roots?

What vegetables are not compatible with this system?

Thanks
Olushola

The book is a bit outdated and suggests greater than 6" depth, but the
website has more up to date info.

A tremendous amount of info about crops is based upon large commercial
farmers that grow acres of one type of vegetable and use machines to
harvest them. This has nothing to do with the home gardener. So things
like row width are useless concepts. Sq. ft. works. I believe he even
showed that 9 inch carrots grew in 6in boxes because the tap root ran
along the bottom, create a 90-degree angle in the carrot.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener