Old 18-04-2004, 05:04 AM
RoyDMercer

Default Hard Soil

"lois" wrote in message
Use dish detergent to soften your soil- 1-2 drops per square foot.
There is about 120 drops in a teaspoon, which would cover 120 sq feet at
1 drop/sq ft.

It doesnt make any difference how much water is mixed with the
detergent. Its easiest to use a hose end sprayer. Apply at least days
before digging or tilling.

A bucket or watering can is fine for small areas.

At an experiimental garden with Illinois clay, I compared Palmolive
clear and Johnsons baby shampoo - The dish detergent was best - and
surprise. it softened the soil for the whole season!!
A professor had meter that read softness.

Its hard to find clear, but the amount is so small that I dont think the
dyes in their gaudy colors would hurt - Its made so we can eat it!!!

Hmm, but the Palmolive would soften your hands also.