Old 18-04-2004, 05:44 AM
sw

Default Wood ash and sawdust as slug deterrent

I gather these may deter slugs used together or separately; I've been
saving some to try. But when do I apply it? After I've sown the seeds
and watered them in, or only after germination begins? The latter seems
more sensible, but I worry about the alkalinity of the wood ash damaging
the seedlings.

On a related but different note, I tried 'pre-baiting' the vegetable bed
with beer traps for a week before planting anything: the first traps
were almost more slugs than beer -- amazing -- but catches tapered
dramatically, and by the time I sowed the seeds I was down to 1-2
slugs/trio of traps/night.

regards
sarah

regards