Old 18-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Kevin Groves

Default Wood ash and sawdust as slug deterrent

sw wrote:
I gather these may deter slugs used together or separately; I've been
saving some to try. But when do I apply it? After I've sown the seeds
and watered them in, or only after germination begins? The latter seems
more sensible, but I worry about the alkalinity of the wood ash damaging
the seedlings.

I've saved quite a bit of my wood ash this year to try and once the
seedlings (which I'll let grow as much as possible) are planted out I'm
going to put it in lines some distance from the plants. With all this
rain I can't see it happening for a while and in any case I havent seen
any slugs about yet.

Kev,