Old 20-04-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

Default Vermiculite alternative for square foot gardening?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:53:22 -0700, Tom Jaszewski opined:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:49:47 GMT, escapee
wrote:

Okay, from my research into this vermiculite problem, it's the stuff they get
from Africa, not our local vermiculite which is the problem. However, lava sand
is a much more effective product, if you can find it.

Skip the Mell soils and follow this link
http://redhot.ncat.org/mirrors/attra...ub/potmix.html

Lots of great mixes without Vermiculite

Buy vermiculite from a Home Depot and save lots of $$$$ if you MUST
use it
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold

I don't use vermiculite, I use crushed or decomposed granite sand in my mixes.