Old 20-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Scott Taylor

Default Using newspapers for mulch/weed control ?

I've read that colored inks can have trace amounts of heavy metals in them
and should not be used in compost....

I'm just being a parrot here, I have no confirmation if the above is true...

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day al,

i use newspaper on the ground when i make a new raised bed but i use
more than a couple of pages as i want to ensure that the grass
underneath dies out, i use between 20 and 40 pages thick at least, i
also wet it down as i lay it this is to hold it in the wind and to
give it a kick start with moisture saturation. where i live it all
rots away fairly quickly and the worms will eat through it any way,
they seem show a particular preference for anything with colour in it.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment