Old 20-04-2004, 11:04 PM
NOOK

Default What's with Stanhopia's

You posted this question a while back. I answered with.... um.. I dono
So I got to wondering while watering a group of them (the tree
in a row that I mentioned in my last post on this) They are all from
the same flask, all in baskets of moss with a sheet of no print
newsprint to hold the moss in, same water (RO) and same fert.
(slightly less than half strength urea free 20-10-20 ) all in a row
getting the same light and humidity and air movement. One of the
baskets seem to have a lot of brown tipping.(these are Costarricesis,
deflasked 08/06/02)
So I began a little unauthorized undocumented experiment.
I switched to 20-20-20, still slightly less than half strength with
urea and BAM! (just like Emeril) I got burned leaves on all three! I
also experimented with cork mounted as well and got the same result,
more tip burn than before.
The leaf goes brown first and feels kinda silky for a day or so then
black and dry. I have not had a whole leaf go black, maybe because I
flushed the crap out of the baskets with RO water for a week and gave
them no more urea fert.
Now the big full grown monsters and the ones collected from the wild
had no problem with the urea stuff, (maybe cause they are dif
varieties, with much thicker leaves and the ones from the wild are
probably just happy to have any water on a regular basis) but the ones
under two years old (mounted or basket) did show some burned
tips.(some of the other young varieties were affected but not nearly
as quick and severe as the Costies)
Don't know if this helps any and like I said at the beginning this was
not a documented case study just a quick test under normal growing in
my propagation room.
One other thing about the fert. in question: This was using Growmore
brand and adding Protek and Epson salt to the RO water before adding
the fert. one hour before use on the plants.
Also this was not applied to the leaves (no spray) just soaking the
moss. The prop room where they grow has a humidity of 72-84%
So my sugestions a try urea free at a way lower ppm, or
no fert for three or four weeks, use water with close to neutral PH
and see if they clear up. Move them back out to a tiny bit more sun
and make sure they have good air flow. (not strong cause that will dry
the leaves up quick) Keep the medium just moist (I am an overwaterer
but Stans don't seem to mind) Switch to Moss umm... thats about all I
can come up with for now.
NOOK

On 19 Apr 2004 12:43:34 GMT, nospamX (TRAINMAN9)
wrote:

I've got three seedlings. What in heavens name causes the leaves to dry up
starting at the tips. They are in the shadiest part of my greenhouse. They look
like someone took a blow torch to them.

Any ideas?