Old 21-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Gemini

Default Black&Decker Auto Feed System lawn trimmers... do you have to?

Plain and simple.... DON"T DO IT.

I bought their cordless model w/ AFS and I spent more time rethreading the
broken off string than I did trimming.
I did buy a "fit all" kit that used the plastic blades, but by the time I
got it, the lower bearing was shot. ( less than one season) I stripped the
battery out of it and tossed the rest.
Customer support from B&D is nothing more than a bunch of automated/form
emails..... that have nothing to do with you problem or complaint.
I now have a Ryobi that I am thrilled with.... a lot higher quality than
the B&D's

You Asked!

The best deal i can find would be from a Black&Decker outlet mall. I
like their trimmers and the outlet mall prices make them better than
any other brand i could get. Unfortunatly they no longer have even a
single model that uses the bump feed, they ALL use the new AFS system
to automaticaly feed trimmer wire when needed. Looking this up on the
net reveals a few people happy with it but MANY who had problems.
Either the system didn't work properly or they complain about how it
eats wire more quickly and requires expensive refill spools.