Old 21-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Ray Drouillard

Default Using newspapers for mulch/weed control ?

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
I've seen references to spreading a couple pages of old
newspaper out as ground cover for weed control. I have my doubts
about how rain water seeps thru the paper. Is it fast enough ?

If I punched holes with a pitchfork it seems to me that
the paper would shred and blow away.

Any experience ?

I used to do it with great success. The trick is to put the newspaper
on when the soil is wet, so it keeps the moisture in, rather than out.
Also, wet it down so it won't blow away. If you have to, put some rocks
on it.

I used to have a tiny garden, so I watered with a hose, concentrating on
the place where the plant comes through the newspaper.

If you use several layers, the newspaper will easily last the season,
then be pretty well composted (or at least turned to pulp) by next
spring.

Ray