Old 24-04-2004, 02:04 AM
fernando pena

Default A very stupid question!! maybe not so stupid....

Claude,

Certainly not a stupid question.

Although all sources of light produce some heat, fluorescent tubes
produce less heat than normal incandescent lamp (and thatīs the main
reason why they are more efficient) However you have to take care of
where you place the ballast or "reactancia".

If you have only one shelf you dont have to worry about temperature
place everything above the plants.

Regarding the order of the tubes IMHO there is no reason to worry about.
What I think it does matter is the number of each kind of tubes that
you will combine ie 2C + 2W or 1C+3W or any other possible combination.

You could also calculate what would be the feet candle received on the
shelves but you have to consider a lot of things (lumens provided by
each tube, type of lamp, color of the walls, and of course the
distance). Also the tubes only provide their nominal lumens when their
are brand-new. Few days after that the power of the tube is not the same
as the first day although your eyes cannot perceive that. So, I would
recommend you to buy a light meter.

Hope have been of help
Regards
Fernando
Buenos Aires - Argentina

PhalGuy wrote:
Thank you Matthiew!
Do you know hom many feet-candle you get with 4 tubes like that?
Does the tube generates lots of heat?

Thanks

Claude