Old 26-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Tim Rowles

Default Source for berry bushes?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:06 GMT, Brent Harsh
wrote:

So I take it it's normal for them to simply take over a bed, eh?

I take it that yours are as happy as mine, eh? I had really
planned for them to multiply, I had the whole bed preallocated
to raspberries in my mind.

Or would it be okay to let the two
things compete - maybe I'd have some winter flowers and cover that way?

I'm no expert, but it looks like the raspberries feed pretty
deep, so a few shallow-rooted things on top may not compete
directly. Maybe. In my case they're beside some
dwarf and espaliered fruit trees, so I dig out any
advancing canes, which isn't really that much work (it's not
like the more invasive bamboos or anything) if you get 'em
young (although I must confess I have a couple more to dig out
this week.)

- Tim