Old 28-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Fito

Default Old Sawdust

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:30:07 -0400, "kyrustic"
wrote:

I have access to tons of very old saw dust. Would it be ok to work this

into
my garden? What uses would it have

Yes. If the sawdust was left outside for a year, then it can be
worked into the soil without concern about robbing nitrogen. It makes
a good mulch for tender shallow rooted plants such as blueberries and
azaleas.

Phish, rather than disagree with you, let me ask a question as I am not sure
of the answer. Does the sawdust lose it "Nitrogen stealing" ability as time
goes by (meaning, is the C:N ration no longer 500:1)? Even after a year, if
it did get weaker, wouldnt it still be high in carbon? Still too high to be
placed in soil?

My initial response would have been to use it as a water retaining mulch.

Thanks in advance,
Fito