Old 28-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Jo Cohen

Default Mice problem please help!

I have a brick ranch in New England (Connecticut) that I moved into in
September. About a month ago I discovered
mice in my kitchen, under the sink. Despite having a dog and an old
declawed indoor cat, the little cuties would venture into the living
room, etc.

Not wanting to kill them, I caught a few and set them free (I know,
bleeding heart liberal). Then I resorted to glue traps and caught a
couple more, but they died before i could free them. Then i got a
little plastic gray trap and released one, but another keeps moving it
without getting caught.

I am very chemically sensitive and would prefer NOT to use poison such
as D-CON. I've been told not to use it anyway, because the mice don't
always make it outside, and might die in the walls and smell. One of
them must have died already because for two weeks my kitchen smelled
TERRIBLE! I was unable to locate the thing.

Last night my cat actually caught and killed what appeared to be a
baby mouse, so I'm concerned they are breeding somewhere!

I bought one of those sonic-plug in devices for $45, that is supposed
to repel mice to 2000 sq. ft. My dad says his buddies at the ag
station say those devices don't work. What do people think about this?

Also, should I not worry about a little poison under the sink, and can
I be sure the mice will really seek water outside and not die in the
house? And what if a mouse eats the D-CON, then somehow my cat or dog
eat the mouse? Would it harm them?

PS- There are a few places outside where they might be coming in from,
including right under the back door to the porch! I can patch a couple
of holes....which i should have done by now

Thanks,

Joanne

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!