Old 29-04-2004, 03:26 AM
RoyDMercer

Default high lawn pH -- that bad?

"CW" wrote in message
I tested my lawn soil and it came to about 8 which kind of surprised
me. I live up north (cleveland, OH), although I do not know what kind
of northern grass I have. What is the best way to lower the pH and
what is the best way to go about doing it? I was told that Ironite
(iron sulfate among other things) helps but am not sure how many
applications or over what period I should apply it.

Any help appreciated. My lawn does not look too g0od and I want to do
anything to spruce it up. I just dethatched and fertilized and want
to get this pH thing down.

I have a high soil PH also (although not nearly as high as 8). 8 is
extremely high and I would question if this level is accurate, because if it
were you would have a hard time growing just about anything, including
grass. You'd know it if your PH was that high because when you applied
fertilizer, your grass wouldn't green up(assuming you had any grass to begin
with).

There's really very little you can do with soil that has a high PH. The
following website does offer some suggestions:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/lowerpH.html