Old 29-04-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Veggie Filters vs UV Filters ??

1. Does anyone have a site with detailed info, for making your own
veggie filter?

.......... here are pictures of pond and veggie filter construction
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
here are details
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/details.htm
here is what it looks like filled with plants
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2003/8-2003B.htm

2. Would this work for a 8' x 19' by 30" deep pond? It's 1800 to 2000
gals, more or less.

yeah, mine is a bit smaller at 1600 gallons. my veggie filter holds about 90 gallons
and is 1' x 1' x 14 feet long. holds about 90 gallons of water. Since I use plants
that grow big and have massive root development my veggie filter is much bigger than
I really need. But I like the feeling of jungle that develops. because I use those
plants with massive roots I can put baskets of flowers in the veggie filter to punch
it up with color right away in spring. The flower baskets dont help clean the water
since the flowers are in dirt and the bottom of the pot is just about 1 inch down
into the stream of water. at least I dont have to worry about watering those pots
all summer. LOL. In fact, anything in a flower pot probably doesnt contribute much
to cleaning the pond unless it is one of those open mesh jobbies where the water can
flow thru. I really, really like ivy cause it over winters so well and I can put the
pot of ivy out in spring. But the Cyperus and the water celery do well inside in a
basement with good fluorescent lights. they need either or moving water or aeration
and a little food. If they are in mesh pots of some kind they can go right out into
the veggie filter .. I tie mine with those plastic hoodgies right to the screening in
back. I have been playing with various plants in the veggie filter for a couple
years http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/changes/changes.htm

How do you feel about using a UV fiter in comparison? Any info is
appreciated.

.... I use both. the UV probably isnt necessary once the plants get going, but it is
cheap to run.

since I live in zone 5 (winter) I cover and heat my pond to 55oF. the hardy water
lilies never die and are already covering 1/2 the surface of the water. the other
thing I do is use a bucket filter all winter and put my pond heater (a 500 watt
aquarium heater) in the bucket filter. that way I can feed my fish most of the
winter. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com