Old 01-05-2004, 04:03 AM
M. Whittier

Default Rabbits are eating my pansies

Haubarg wrote in message . ..
Rabbits are eating our pansies and other blooms
faster than I can plant them.
Does anybody have advice about how to change their
dietary preferences? Can't put wire mesh around the
plants, there are just too many.
I'm new to this group, if this question seems naive... sorry.
thanks

Rose

I've had very good luck with diluted egg whites (2 in about a cup of
water) sprayed with a cheapo spray bottle. Supposedly it's because
rabbits are herbivores, and the egg smell spoils the experience for
them. Speaking of spoiling, make sure you wash the spray bottle very
thoroughly or it'll get putrid very quickly. Liquid Fence (commercial
spray) is made of putrid eggs and garlic primarily, but the smell was
too bad for me to contend with. The egg whites need to be reapplied
after heavy rains, or weekly, but it's pretty damn cheap and easy (and
less cruel than pepper wax.)

Providing rabbits with a patch of clover is a good alternative, too.
They seem to prefer it over most other greens.

Also had good luck with human hair clippings keeping squirrels away.
Plus, I believe hair doubles as (very) slow release nitrogen.

Good luck-

Michael