Old 02-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Radika

Default Names of Rose bushes

Kelly wrote:
I am not a regular to this ng and so I hope I do not offend.

I am trying to find out if there are any rose bushes that have the name
Eliza or Elizah in them... I would like one as a tribute/memorial tree for
my sister, who's infant daughter recently passed away.

If you could direct me to site that may assist in this or able to tell me if
there is one, I would greatly appreciate it...

TIA

Kelly in Aus

HelpMeFind is an excellent data base for doing this kind of a search -
here is a link:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php?tab=1

I clicked on the "Roses" tab and did a Name search with "contains Eliza"
as the search parameter and got a very long list. Of these, the ones
that contained "Eliza" were the following:

Eliza (Shrub, Skinner, 1961)
Eliza (Gallica)
Eliza™ (Hybrid Tea, Kordes, 1996)
Eliza Balcombe
Eliza Boelle
Eliza Descemet
Eliza Fugier
Eliza Leker
Eliza Robichon

The Skinner Shrub is an once-bloomer, and I am not sure if it is still
in commerce:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=26376

The one that seems most promising is the Kordes Hybrid Tea:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=19078

The others are either Gallicas or Hybrid Perpetuals that may or may not
be still in commerce.

You might try to contact rose suppliers in your area and see if any of
these are available in your area, or follow Gail's excellent advice. If
your sister lives in a mild winter climate, Gallicas might never bloom
at all - talking to a local Rose Expert from the local Rose Society
would be tremendously useful in selecting a rose that is most
appropriate for your sister's climate.

I understand your urge to have a memorial tree/rose for your niece. When
my beloved father died, I planted a Persian Lilac in his memory and
named the plant with his name. The plant thrives, and in our mild winter
climate, we had a pretty cool winter last year which triggered the
Persian Lilac bearing my father's name put on a brilliant and fragrant
display earlier this spring. The plant is well-mannered, delicate and
beautiful, just as my father was. I spend hours sitting in a garden seat
next to it in spring time as I read in the garden. May your rose
selection commemorating your niece bring a lot of healing peace to your
sister and to yourself.

--
Radika
California