Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Anonymous

Default Kohler 321c

I run Mobil 10W-40 Synthetic in mine, however from what you are
describing it sounds as though you have problems beyond which a change
of oil type will address. It's really not that much trouble to open up
the engine and replace the connecting rod. How long do you run between
oil changes?

Steve wrote:
I have a 1983 Allis Chalmers 914H tractor that has been a trooper for years.
When mowing deep grass when the outside temp is hot the enging makes a
rapping noise and suddenly binds. It has done this for 2 years now and after
10 minutes cooling down she will fire up and run again like new. My Kohler
manual makes no mention of usage of synthetic oils. Would synthetic oil help
it run cooler?It sounds like the connecting rod is giving up on me. I want
to run it till it dies for good then replace the engine with a new short
block. I have always kept the mower serviced well. She is just an old horse.
I don't want a new one. What viscosity synthetic should I try if I do?
Outside temp when mowing is usually between 75 and 90 degrees.