Old 03-05-2004, 06:03 AM
simy1

Default bigger potato yields ( was Excitement in the Air)

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message ...

When you have excess acreage, the thing you try to optimize is yield per
(cost + time) rather than yield per acre.

true even with one acre. My deer have a runway not five feet from two
of my potato rows and don't touch them (so far, three years running...
they have destroyed my sunchokes patch 50 ft away though). I plant the
potatoes in rows where I don't want to mow, like where I have trees in
a row. All I do is put the potato down, cover with one foot of
woodchips, and show up in august for harvest. Very low yield, mostly
because I neither water nor fertilize, but the yield per unit of
effort is great.

I have about twenty-five pounds of potatoes that are rapidly growing
sprouts. They're going to go into the ground as soon as we take
possession of our land.

Ray