Old 03-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Mike Gilmore

Default Chionanthus virginicus - to pot or not to pot?

By all accounts this is a beautiful tree. Mine is just 3' high and making
its first leaf buds just now. It's in a warm location (when the weather
plays ball!) but its growth rate is frustrating and last year it was rather
disappointing from what I can recall. Should I keep faith as I have
just found a second plant based on and encouraged by what it CAN do. The
second plant was as opportunist purchase as it is difficult to obtain here
and I happened to
spot one on my travels and snapped it up. (As you do)! The second
plant is currently located in a large, sunny, double herbaceous border
created
this past winter but I am having second thoughts about leaving it in
position or digging it up and putting in a pot. Any advice or
en/dis-couragment on the matter?

Regards
Mike Gilmore
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk