Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
GFRfan

Default Proper grass height.

Steveo wrote:
wrote:

We're about 100 ft from a stream and uphill of it. As for soil, it
seems very orgainic, hold water very well, and weeds love it.

Wouldn't rolling the yard really compress and damage the grass roots?

the grass root is not that delicate. the grass roots can go several
inches below the soil surface. the wide surface area of the roller is not
narrow enough to ruin the soil surface area and harm the grass roots.

Rolling compresses the soil. It defeats your lawn aeration job pronto.

It's good for knocking down mole and worm hills, and maybe a few small
ruts. That's it.

If you core aerate, the roller will simply compress any lumps you have
in the soil. It will not collapse the core holes enough to be a problem.
Actually I find rolling to be more effective when tilling and reseeding
but it does help some on "bumpy soil.
And I've always mowed my bluegrass, fescue mix at 2 1/2" in spring and
3" in summer. Never had any trouble with bare spots.
I live in Iowa.
Good thread though. Does give me pause for thought.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman