Old 05-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Janice

Default bigger potato yields ( was Excitement in the Air)

On 2 May 2004 20:05:10 -0700, (simy1) wrote:

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message ...

When you have excess acreage, the thing you try to optimize is yield per
(cost + time) rather than yield per acre.

true even with one acre. My deer have a runway not five feet from two
of my potato rows and don't touch them

Yup, nightshade, poisonous and bitter anyway.

Janice

(so far, three years running...
they have destroyed my sunchokes patch 50 ft away though). I plant the
potatoes in rows where I don't want to mow, like where I have trees in
a row. All I do is put the potato down, cover with one foot of
woodchips, and show up in august for harvest. Very low yield, mostly
because I neither water nor fertilize, but the yield per unit of
effort is great.

I have about twenty-five pounds of potatoes that are rapidly growing
sprouts. They're going to go into the ground as soon as we take
possession of our land.

Ray