Old 05-05-2004, 03:13 PM
SMF

Default Tree planting question

Hi,

I planted a few trees recently where the rootball mostly made up of
dirt seemed to break away by the time I got it into the hole. I felt
I was almost planting the trees bare root. One was an atlas cedar and
the other a pine, both about 6 feet tall.

A year and a half ago I planted a series of pines. One plant also
lost a significant amount of it's root ball. That one happens to be
growing the fastest.

I'm wondering if it's a benefit to break apart the rootball which
will already put the roots into the native soil or are these latest
planting essentially doomed.

Thanks