Old 08-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Katra

Default Helping Geraniums survive the winter

In article , "Noman"
wrote:

Yes, I know it's Spring, but I heard something the other day that I've
never heard before. I was told that you can take geraniums out of their pots
or planters, shake the dirt off until you get to the bare roots, then hang
them in the garage over the Winter. Then replant the following Spring.

I ask this because I have 8 geraniums bought at Marbridge Farms that I'd
like to keep from one year to the next. They are in immovable planters which
are part of my deck's railings. Has anyone heard of this before? Does it
work? I had one geranium survive the freezes over the winter and it's going
to be massive this year. Because of my schedule it's not practical for me to
cover them when freezing temps approach.

Thanks.

Put them in different pots in a small greenhouse over the winter. :-)

These are cheap and easy, and portable and can be put away during the
summer:

http://www.propools.com/cgi-bin/Soft.../greenhouses/d
reamhouse.htm?E+scstore

I just installed 3 of them as permanent structures and they have a 3
year warantee. They took me about 30 minutes each to erect, and maybe
another hour to put in shelving (which is not included).

I am personally thrilled with them. :-)

They also come in a 6' x 6' which is about $100.00 cheaper.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...