Old 09-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default tree with year-round purple color, not just white ash in fall color

One of the reasons I want white ash is for its Fall color of leaves with
purple. But last week I ventured down a road which had two trees of
purple leaves and I presume for all of the season and not just during
Autumn. So I ask myself the question of why bother with a white ash
whose purple color will only be for a few weeks when I should get a tree
whose leaves are purple most of the year?

I am guessing those 2 trees are maple but did not stop to take a closer
look at identification. Perhaps they were of a cherry species for I
notice that choke cherries are often very purplish leaves of color. But
those 2 were huge trees so I suspect it was not a cherry species.

And perhaps this will become a distant future trend in that hybrids of
species for color of leaves will be a hotly pursued field of employment
in the future for trees that have pretty color leaves. So that in the
future instead of amur maples giving a red brilliance for a few weeks we
have trees whose leaves are red brilliant all summer long. So genetic
engineering not only for plants for food source or insect resistant but
genetic engineering of plants for art and beauty sake.

And whereas genetic engineering of food supply culls up harsh reactions
by environmental folk, I would think that these reactionary people would
not be so bellicose over genetic engineering of trees for art and
beauty.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium