Old 09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Red

Default Helping Geraniums survive the winter

It certainly does work. I have seen them go through this cycle for several
years being kept either hanging bare rooted or in a paper bag. The really
amazing thing is that they will start to grow in the spring when it is time
to pot them up without being exposed to any outside light. My Mother used
to keep hers in the cellar where in the old days she stored all the canned
goods for the winter. There were no windows and yet every spring the
geraniums would start to sprout right on schedule.

"Noman" wrote in message
Yes, I know it's Spring, but I heard something the other day that I've
never heard before. I was told that you can take geraniums out of their

pots
or planters, shake the dirt off until you get to the bare roots, then hang
them in the garage over the Winter. Then replant the following Spring.

I ask this because I have 8 geraniums bought at Marbridge Farms that I'd
like to keep from one year to the next. They are in immovable planters

which
are part of my deck's railings. Has anyone heard of this before? Does it
work? I had one geranium survive the freezes over the winter and it's

going
to be massive this year. Because of my schedule it's not practical for me

cover them when freezing temps approach.

Thanks.