Old 10-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Ignoramus15189

Default How to keep raccoons away

forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational
for my 3 year old son.

In article , Doug Kanter wrote:
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the bottom of
the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach the
top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of the
fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your local
animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops
that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive stems
that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far your
fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end up
being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might
consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations.
That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

"Ignoramus15189" wrote in message
I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is
somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).

It is fenced with a chain link fence, but they still sneak in. I am
guessing that they get in between the fence and the ground. What are
the practical ways of raccoon proofing the backyard. Maybe some wire
stuff that can be added to the fence, or what? Can I simply buy a
raccoon trap and transport a few away from my property?

Shooting them is not an option due to our city code.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."