Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Joseph Meehan

Default How to keep raccoons away

Ignoramus15189 wrote:
In article , Doug Kanter wrote:
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the
bottom of the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible,
and attach the

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top
of the fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

that's upsetting that they can climb.

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and
latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They are
not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your
local animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons. I would just trap
them and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so
many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they
migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time
since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5
raccoons, would it actually help?

Some areas, like were I live, do not allow you to release a raccoon that
you might trap. I also suggest lots of miles. However it will not really
help. If they like the area and there is food, they or others will be back.

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the
crops that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have
abrasive stems that some raccoons won't step through. And, you
didn't mention how far your fence is from the garden. If it's
possible to plant shrubs that'll end up being 3-4' in diameter, and
still leave room for YOU to work, you might consider barberry.
Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations. That's why
birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

no space for that, unfortunately.

"Ignoramus15189" wrote in
message ...
I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is
somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).

It is fenced with a chain link fence, but they still sneak in. I am
guessing that they get in between the fence and the ground. What are
the practical ways of raccoon proofing the backyard. Maybe some wire
stuff that can be added to the fence, or what? Can I simply buy a
raccoon trap and transport a few away from my property?

Shooting them is not an option due to our city code.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured.
@ @ @

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math