Old 10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Ann

Default How to keep raccoons away

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:33:59 +0000, Ignoramus15189 wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

that's upsetting that they can climb.

Very well ... trees, downspouts, whatever. As already mentioned, they're
good with their paws. Saw one open a foam cooler, and then the screw top
on the jar of jelly he selected. And in areas where they're used to
people, lights and/or radio don't work. What about keeping a dog in the
fenced area at night?

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your
local animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons.

Unless you live in a rabies-free area, it would be foolish not to be
cautious. Even non-rabid raccoons can be fiesty if they're cornered. So
if you're involving a child in this, be sure he understands that he should
not approach one by himself.

I would just trap them
and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so many local
raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they migrate? For
example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time since they
propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5 raccoons, would it
actually help?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how many there are around. It would be
bad form to release on private land without permission.