Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 PM
nambucca

Default security hedge suggestions

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message

I'm looking for a hedge that will grow quickly and will be
bushy and dense from ground level up to keep people out.
I've heard about Leylandi but have seen some (I think) that
seem to get bushy only at head height and therefore can let
people walk between the trunks.

I have a stodgy dense wet clay soil like fudge.

Any reccommendations please re. type of plant, spacing, when
to plant and feed, how to prepare the soil and where to
buy in bulk at a good price.

Beech, Italian Alder, Hawthorn, all make the sort of solid hedge you want
but aren't as quick growing as Leylandii. But then they don't need so much
work when they get to the required height.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Pyracantha is fast growing and its prickles deter intruders yet the

flowers now and the berries all winter make it stunning
comes with red or orange or yellow berries ......why not mix the lot