Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Loki

Default tomato leaves eaten....

il Mon, 10 May 2004 09:20:03 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Look, I know that pesticides are bad and work hard to develop my
biocontrol. Lizards, snakes, toads, spiders, assasin bugs and ladybird
beetles are all welcome in my garden and there are plenty of them.

But when it comes to rapid destruction by critters such as hornworms,
there is a time and a place for pesticides and sevin is the most benign
of them!

I try to hand pick them, but the little *******s are hard to spot!!!

And they do oh so much damage oh so quickly. :-(

Pans of beer work for slugs and snails. Dark Ale seems to attract far
more of them than cheap beer but that does not atttract hornworms. ;-)

I try, I really do, to stay as organic as possible, but sometimes it's
just not practical!

Would putting a cut open container around the plants reduce the
chewing? We have no such thing as that hornworm but I do find a
little plastic barrier slows some creatures down. Especially the darn
birds that like to break the stems. One can then use bait that's out
of reach of animals too.
--
Cheers,