Old 11-05-2004, 02:47 PM
williamelfyn williamelfyn is offline
Registered User

Location: criccieth, north wales
Default Does Frost Damage Kill Tomato Plants?

Quote:
Originally posted by kc
Hello All

My tomato plants were about 6" inches tall when about 10 days ago a frost
killed all their foliage down to the ground. I was ready to purchase new
plants, but noticed that the base of the frost-bitten plants are sending up
new foliage.

Will these plants recover enough to bear fruit, or should I just replace
them with new plants? And even if they are able to recover, are they now too
far behind? I'm assuming it will take them a while just to get back to the
6" height they were at before the frost.
..
Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Tomato plants can suffer from a physiological disease - they will look fine, but refuse to grow even with perfect conditions - this can happen with just below average temperatures - say below 12degrees C therefore any low temps./frost - get rid and start again, they will not be worth the bother.
WilliamElfyn

Kenn