Old 12-05-2004, 04:05 AM
B & J

Default Does Frost Damage Kill Tomato Plants?

"Bud" wrote in message
kc wrote:

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I will replant based on your
recommendations. I had planned on replanting in the first place, but was
surprised to see the plants still growing, hence my question.

Also, B & J, thanks for the "pushing the season" tip. I will try that

next
year.

Kenn

Depends on where you live for replanting and how long they have been in

the
ground. If it were here, Zone 6, I'd leave them in if they had been there
for more than two weeks. To help them along, there is always the plastic
gallon jug of milk with the bottom cut out and placed on top of the plant
to increase temperature of air and soil around the plant. You can screw on
the top if it gets cool at night to keep in some heat.

As far as the plastic around the cage, that is a good idea for the next
stage after they outgrow the jug. I use clip on clothes pins which is
easier than fighting tape to hold plastic in place.

Doing the whole process when you plant initially saves time later. I usually
plant about eight 4" - 5" plants, which I started about a month earlier. I
have an equal number of 25" in diameter concrete reinforcing wire cages,
which I've earlier wrapped with the plastic and secured with four strips of
duct tape. After adding gypsum, compost, and a sprinkling of 13-13-13 to the
soil, I mix it together with my Mantis. I dig eight spaced holes in two 4' x
12' raised bed, two in the front and two in the rear. I add a tbsp. of epsom
salts to the bottom of each hole and work it in. I then put in the plants,
water them in, and put down a straw mulch around each plant. I then drive in
two metal posts that fit inside the cages to keep them from blowing over in
a wind. I then place soaker hoses around the beds, cover them with mulch,
both straw and shredded oak leaves, and place the cage over the stakes and
tomatoes. I leave the plastic around the cages until the plants are 2/3 to
3/4 of the way to the top of the cage or the weather becomes hot. That keeps
the plants inside the cage. About every two to three weeks, I pour some
balanced soluble fertilizer around the roots. The tomato yield is fantastic.

I guess the sincerest form of flattery came this spring when a gardening
neighbor followed exactly the same procedure when he put in his tomatoes,
which I had started.

John