Old 20-05-2004, 06:13 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Mushrooms, fairy ring, dead(ish) grass.

Hi,

last year we had mushrooms, which I had identified (on group and off) as
edible, but ended up not eating because the ones I brought in had loads of
little grubs in.

http://www.chelsworth-lodge.nildram....FairyRing1.JPG shows
this.

The grass showed no sign of this in early spring, being green all over.

However after the last cut, and the hot dry weather, I noticed that some of
the grass looked 'burned' and dry, instead of green.

It was only when looking down from the balcony that I could see a definite
pattern.

http://www.chelsworth-lodge.nildram....FairyRing2.JPG shows
this.

It looks as though there is a ring of sorts centered on the Victoria plum
tree.

Now I though that fairy rings were generally the slowly expanding circle of
underground fungus from a point source, often based on buried dead wood as
the starting point.

In this case it looks as though there is a ring of sorts arounf the plum
tree.

Does this suggest that the roots of the plum have a problem around where the
ring is?

The tree sems O.K. but is not as sprightly as it has been - I suspected lack
of nutrients (based partly on the spread of roots from all the trees, as
evidenced by suckers springing up all over the garden).

Is this ring evidence of a more serious problem, and if so what (if
anything) can I do about it?

TIA
Dave R

[Trees, in rotation from the left, are Victoria plum, Bramley apple, Czar
plum, Greengage, and Queen Cox apple.]