Old 21-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Karl Grave

Default Peach leaf curl

I have been and bought the recommended spray but is the spray to
prevent it; will it also cure it once it is there?
What happens to the leaves now? Will they recover after being sprayed
or are they beyond help? Can I expect them to fall and new growth to

Forget sprays they don't make a significant difference. Peaches & nectarines
always get curl outdoors and it can be very seriously weakening if allowed
to get out of control.
As soon as the leaves emerge pick of EVERY affected leaf. I know it seems
cruel but the plant is full of vigour in spring and if the leaves are small
you are not removing much leafage in total. Go over the plant at least every
2 days and keep on removing EVERY affected leaf. Soon there will be none and
large healthy leaves will emerge for the summer.
Be vigilant though as PLC will return sporadically & you must remove any
affected leaves AT ONCE. This system works perfectly.
I have tried ignoring it to see if the plant could 'outgrow' the problem or
shake it off. What happens then is the fungus is allowed to reach full
maturity, the red blisters turn white and release their spores everywhere.
PLC then spreads over the entire plant and all the large mature leaves are
affected and the plant severely weakened.

Be cruel to be kind!

Karl