Old 23-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Chris

Default New Phy. aureosulcata aureocaulis owner

"SamMan" wrote in message ...

I don't plan on installing a barrier, but letting it fill my growing area
and then maybe doing the 1' trench and rhizome pruning. My grove will be
about 15' to 20' square, in full sun.

If you have a big enough gap between the planting area and your
neighbors, you can get away with mowing the unwanted shoots during
shooting season... that way you don't have to sweat digging a trench
every year. Keep in mind, runners will send rhizomes equivelent to
the height of the plant.

What size of hole should I plant in (diameter)?

Just dig a hole that will fit the plant.

What type of mulch should I use? I was planning on using wood chips, but now
I'm not sure if this would be a good choice after reading other posts in
some other browser-based groups.

Bamboo is not a picky plant. Water it, keep the soil moist, but not
wet. Mulch is good to hold the moisture.

Do the rhizomes typically spread in one direction, or in all directions? The
reason I ask this is because on one side of the container the clums are very
small and then in the center, they are about 1/2" in diameter.

They will spread anywhere and everywhere. There is not rhyme or
reason.

Any other advise/tips such as watering, fertilizing, etc...

Wait until a month before the next shooting season and use some light
fertilizer. I use "Miracid" on my runners. After it gets established
you can use hotter fertilizers without any problems. Soil, moist but
not wet.

Our winters here have been fairly mild for the last few years in NE. The
coldest temps seem to be in Jan-Feb, and
sometimes getting down to about -10F to -15F, but not for extended periods
of time. As far as I can remember, the last couple of years the lows during
that time were in the -5 to -10 range. Can I expect culm dieback each
winter? At what temp will the culms die back?

I am in So. Cal, so I don't know what temps like that will do to your
bamboo. Phyllostachys can handle the temps you are talking about,
there will be leaf loss and possibly loss of culms, but it will come
back well in the spring. Since you are starting with a very small
plant, I would get it in the ground now and let it get established.
Once it starts to get cold, you should be able to cover it completely
with mulch to protect it.

If for some reason your plant looks like it is dying or dead, don't
sweat it, it is more than likely shock and will come back. I had one
plant that was vibrant and green when I bought it, when I got the
plants home (40 min drive) it was browing fast. It continued to "die"
in the ground. Now, I can't tell it from the other 9 I planted in the
same bed.

Good luck !!

Chris
Chino,CA