Old 23-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Bert

Default New Phy. aureosulcata aureocaulis owner

For the first winter be sure to protect it from wind. and mulch the root
ball and surronding aread with straw etc to help keep the roots from
freezing.

Bert

"SamMan" wrote in message
I have received my first bamboo today. A 1 gal container of Phy.
aureosulcata aureocaulis and plan on planting it this weekend.

Although I have gotten some good information off the web on planting &

care
from sites like ABS, I'd still like to get some advise/tips from this

group.

I don't plan on installing a barrier, but letting it fill my growing area
and then maybe doing the 1' trench and rhizome pruning. My grove will be
about 15' to 20' square, in full sun.

What size of hole should I plant in (diameter)?

What type of mulch should I use? I was planning on using wood chips, but

now
I'm not sure if this would be a good choice after reading other posts in
some other browser-based groups.

Do the rhizomes typically spread in one direction, or in all directions?

The
reason I ask this is because on one side of the container the clums are

very
small and then in the center, they are about 1/2" in diameter.

Any other advise/tips such as watering, fertilizing, etc...

Our winters here have been fairly mild for the last few years in NE. The
coldest temps seem to be in Jan-Feb, and
sometimes getting down to about -10F to -15F, but not for extended periods
of time. As far as I can remember, the last couple of years the lows

during
that time were in the -5 to -10 range. Can I expect culm dieback each
winter? At what temp will the culms die back?

Thanks,
Sam

--
SamMan