Old 24-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Glenna Rose

Default How to get rid of aphids on chives

Soap/detergent

For what it's worth, when discussing biodegradable cleansers, etc., some
35-40 years ago, we were told the following:

Soap is made from natural products and is completely biodegradable
Detergents are made from some synthetic materials and are not completely
biodegradable

There were some labeling regulations in place at one time as to whether
something could be call soap or detergent.

Generally, soap could not do as good a job cleansing dirty clothing so
detergents were more popular. Soap as supposed to be milder to the skin,
etc., than detergent.

It would appear that the brand name is not indicative, but somewhere on
the label it should indicate whether soap or detergent. I know that there
is dishwashing soap and dishwashing detergent as well as clothes washing
soap and clothes washing detergent; Ivory is one of the soaps.

Yes, there is a difference. Those with allergies are very aware of the
differences.

Safer Soap has been mentioned here often for pest control but I've never
heard anyone mention Safer Detergent.

Right or wrong, correct or incorrect, that is the information as I
understand it.

The chives? Buy ladybugs! Spray the chives with the garden hose. Plant
the chives in an area of good air circulation so the predatory bugs and
insect eating birds can easily find them and their aphid buddies. I'm
still very lucky that I rarely see aphids in the garden which has been the
case since I started purchasing ladybugs each spring.

Glenna