Old 25-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Ceramic Pots

Kevin: A pot which is "painted" brown is not an unglazed pot. A majority of
unglazed bonsai containers are traditionally a dark brown, but that is the
color of the clay which is used. This is not painted on the pot, but rather
it is mixed into the body of the clay. The container will be that color of
brown throughout the pot rather than just at the surface.
Unglazed pots come in a variety of colors and textures, however. Common clay
colors are the aforementioned dark brown, yellow, red, grey, and olive
green. Occasionally you will find a blue-green color clay. Texture can be
burnished extra smooth, smooth, matte, or rough.
Check the IBC Bonsai Pottery Gallery for a wide sampling of container
styles, colors, textures, sizes, designs, etc. Like most things, the more we
know about this, the more evident is our vast ignorance. ;-)
Alan Walker